Read quality

Many steps of genomic data processing have some associated quality value for their results. Here we will briefly check the first and last of those. But there is no simple way to set your quality thresholds. You have to recognize completely bad data. But after that there is a continuum. Sometimes you just need an idea of the underlying biology. Find some variants for further screening. Sometimes you’re trying to pinpoint particular variant causing a disease.

Each read that comes out of the (now common) sequencing machines like Illumina or Ion Torrent has a quality score assigned with each of the bases. This is not true for the upcoming NanoPore or almost forgotten SOLiD machines, that are reading more bases a time.

Phred encoding

The quality in Fastq files is encoded in Phred quality score, a number on a logarithmic scale, similar to decibels.

Phred quality Probability of error
20 1 in 100
40 1 in 10,000
60 1 in 1,000,000

Each Phred number is in turn encoded as a single character, so there is straightforward mapping between the bases and the quality scores. The most common mapping is Phred+33:

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJ
| |                       |    |         |

FastQC

FastQC is a nice tool that you run with your data and get nice graphical reports on the quality. It is not completely installed in your images, so you can try to run a tool that was just unpacked (this is how this tool is distributed, there is no install script - a daily bread of a bioinformatician;). You have to use the full path to the tool to run it:

# make a project directory for the qualities
cd
mkdir -p projects/quality
cd projects/quality
ln -s ~/data/fastq 00-reads

mkdir 01-quality
~/sw/FastQC/fastqc -o 01-quality --noextract 00-reads/HRTMUOC01.RL12.01.fastq

Now transfer the .html files from the virtual machine to yours. Open the files on your machine. You should see a report with plots like this:

_images/fqc_per_base_quality.png _images/fqc_per_base_sequence_content.png

Parsing Fastq and decoding Phred

To understand better what is in the FastQC plots, we will try to reproduce the plots using UNIX and ggplot. You should be able to understand the following pipeline, at least by taking it apart with the help of head or less. A brief description:

• sed replaces the leading ‘@’ with an empty string in the first of every four lines and deletes the third of every four lines (the useless ‘+’ line)
  • paste merges every three lines
  • awk selects only reads longer than 50 bases
  • head takes first 1,000 sequences
  • awk creates a Phred decoding table, then uses it to decode the values, outputs one row for each base (see ‘tidy data’)
mkdir 02-quality-handmade
IN=00-reads/HRTMUOC01.RL12.01.fastq

<$IN sed '1~4s/^@//;3~4d' |
  paste - - - |
  awk 'length($2) > 50' |
  head -1000 |
  awk 'BEGIN{OFS="\t";
         for(i=33;i<127;i++) quals[sprintf("%c", i)] = i - 33;
       }
       {
         l = length($2)
         for(i=1;i<=l;i++) {
           print $1, i, l - i, substr($2, i, 1), quals[substr($3, i, 1)];}
       }'\
> 02-quality-handmade/quals.tsv

Quality by position

The first of the FastQC plots shows a summary of base qualities according to position in the read. But it does not show quality scores for all possible positions, they are grouped into classes of similar importance. The further the base in the read, the bigger the group.

Fire up R Studio by clicking the link. Set your working directory to the directory with the quality data (in Console, don’t forget to use tab completion):

setwd('~/projects/quality')

Now create a file where your plotting code will live, File > New file > R Script, then save it as plots.R. First we will read in the data.

d <- read.delim("02-quality-handmade/quals.tsv",
                col.names=c("seq", "pos", "end_pos", "base", "qual"),
                header=F)

We did not include column names in the data file, but it is easy to provide them during the load via col.names argument. Let’s look at base quality values for first 10 sequences:

library(ggplot)
library(dplyr)

sel <- levels(d$seq)[1:10]
ggplot(d %>% filter(seq %in% sel), aes(pos, qual, colour=seq, group=seq)) + geom_line()

The qualities on sequence level don’t seem to be very informative. They’re rather noisy. A good way to fight noise is aggregation. We will aggregate the quality values using boxplots and for different position regions. First set up the intervals:

# fastqc uses bins with varying size:
# 1-9 by one, up to 75 by 5, up to 300 by 50, rest by 100

breaks <- c(0:9, seq(14, 50, by=5), seq(59, 100, by=10), seq(149, 300, by=50), seq(400, 1000, by=100))

# create nice labels for the intervals
labs <- data.frame(l=breaks[1:length(breaks)-1], r=breaks[2:length(breaks)]) %>%
  mutate(diff=r-l, lab=ifelse(diff > 1, paste0(l+1, "-", r), as.character(r)))

Check the breaks and labs variables. In the FastQC plot there are vertical quality zones, green, yellow and red. To replicate this, we need the values of the limits:

# data for quality zones
quals <- data.frame(ymin=c(0, 20, 28), ymax=c(20, 28, 40), colour=c("red", "orange", "green"))

# check if the quality zones look reasonably
ggplot(quals, aes(ymin=ymin, ymax=ymax, fill=colour)) +
  geom_rect(alpha=0.3, xmin=-Inf, xmax=Inf) +
  scale_fill_identity() +
  scale_x_discrete()

Now we can use the breaks to create position bins:

dm <- d %>% mutate(bin=cut(pos, breaks, labels=labs$lab))

# plot the qualities in the bins
ggplot(dm, aes(bin, qual)) +
  geom_boxplot(outlier.colour=NA) +
  ylim(c(0, 45))

Zones and boxplots look ok, we can easily combine those two into one plot. That’s pretty easy with ggplot. We use theme to rotate the x labels, so they’re all legible. In real world application the qualities are binned first, and then the statistics are calculated on the fly, so it is not necessary to load all the data at once.

ggplot(dm) +
  geom_rect(xmin=-Inf, xmax=Inf, data=quals, aes(ymin=ymin, ymax=ymax, fill=colour), alpha=0.3) +
  scale_fill_identity() +
  geom_boxplot(aes(bin, qual), outlier.colour=NA, fill="yellow") +
  geom_smooth(aes(bin, qual, group=1), colour="blue") +
  theme(axis.text.x=element_text(angle = 40, hjust = 1))
_images/qual-bars.png

Now we can do the base frequency plot. We already have the position bins, so just throw ggplot at it:

ggplot(dm, aes(bin, fill=base)) + geom_bar()

We’re almost there, just need to normalize the values in each column so they sum up to 1. Ggplot can do it for us:

ggplot(dm, aes(bin, fill=base)) + geom_bar(position="fill")

It’s possible to rearrange the legend by reordering levels of the factor. As you can see, the visual fine-tuning added the most of the code:

levs <- rev(c("A", "C", "G", "T", "N"))
dm %>%
  mutate(baseo=factor(base, levels=rev(levs))) %>%
  ggplot(aes(bin, fill=baseo, order=factor(baseo, levs))) + geom_bar(position="fill")

If you still want to get the line chart, you need to calculate the relative frequencies yourself:

dm %>%
  select(base, bin) %>%
  table %>%
  data.frame %>%
  group_by(bin) %>%
  mutate(Freqn=Freq / sum(Freq)) ->
  t

t %>%
  mutate(baseo=factor(base, levels=levs)) %>%
  ggplot(aes(bin, Freqn, colour=baseo, group=baseo)) + geom_line(size=1.3)

Now you can think for a while about what is better about the bar chart, and what is better about the line chart.

Now check the quality of reads in (create the commands on your own, modyfying the provided ones):

/data/ecoli